Photo: footwear by John Fluevog, 2008 Award of Distinction recipient
In British Columbia, we have exceptional applied artists and designers who lead their fields with distinction, innovation, and creativity. Recognized recipients of the BC Achievement Applied Art + Design (AAD) award program include Martha Sturdy, Omar Arbel, John Fluevog, and Arc’teryx, among others.
This program celebrates British Columbians who excel in creating functional art, enhancing day-to-day life while contributing to the province’s cultural and economic fabric.
Applied art refers to the application of design and aesthetics to everyday objects, such as furniture, textiles, ceramics, jewellery, and clothing. It combines functionality and artistic elements, creating beautiful objects that enrich daily life. The creative process often involves collaboration with manufacturers and craftsmen to ensure usability, durability, and cost-effectiveness.
The AAD program, launched in 2006, has honoured 83 alumni, with 19 receiving the Award of Distinction designation. This award recognizes established artists for their extraordinary and sustained accomplishments in applied art + design, inspiring their community and province.
Past Award of Distinction recipients include:
- 2022 Robert Anderson, Stringed Musical Instruments
- 2021 Ann McLaren, Craniofacial Prosthetics
- 2020 Nancy Bryant, Costume Design
- 2019 Gordon Hutchens, Ceramics
- 2018 Bill Pechet, Public Art Design
- 2017 Sam Carter, Exhibition Design
- 2016 Mustang Survival, Industrial Design
- 2015 Arc’teryx, Product Design
- 2014 Judson Beaumont, Furniture Design
- 2013 Wayne Ngan, Ceramics
- 2012 Catherine Regehr, Fashion & Home Design
- 2011 Phil Nuytten, Innovator/Design
- 2010 Doug Simpson, Folding Kayaks
- 2009 Karl Stittgen, Jewellery
- 2008 John Fluevog, Shoe Design
- 2007 Toni Cavelti, Jewellery & Joanna Staniszkis, Textile & Clothing
- 2006 Niels Bendtsen, Furniture Design & Martha Sturdy, Sculpture & Wearable Design
The 2023 AAD award program recipients will be celebrated at an art exhibition from November 15 to 22, followed by a presentation ceremony on November 22 at The Roundhouse in Vancouver. Save the dates and stay tuned for ticket details at bcachievement.com
Join us in honouring the best of BC’s creative economy and the visionaries who redefine possibilities in functional design.
BC Achievement: Elevate Excellence. Share Success. Inspire Change.