||GOLDEN EAGLE SPONSOR
||SILVER EAGLE SPONSOR
|IN PARTNERSHIP WITH
Citation for BC Aboriginal Business Awards Recipient
British Columbia Aboriginal Business Award for Individual Achievement
Introduced by RuthWilliams
As Aboriginal people are being recognized here tonight we, from the Aboriginal community want to take this opportunity to recognize an individual who has worked with us for many years and contributed to our success.
Over that period of time he earned the respect; admiration and trust of many as he has been selfless in all that he does.
His respect for Aboriginal people is mirrored in his approach:
In this same manner he impresses upon others these same standards.
Many of the recipients and those nominated have benefitted from the First Citizens Fund loan program and the business support services. Funding for these initiatives comes from the interest earned on the $72 million endowment fund. This fund was originally established at $25 million and was increased to $72 million in 2001 by the current government. Thank you Premier Campbell for honoring your election promise to increase this fund.
For us as Aboriginal people to succeed in business we need access to capital and business advisory support.
Tonight we want to recognize John Harper. John has provided the oversight for the delivery of the FCF loan program through the Aboriginal Capital Corporations: Tale'Awtxw (TACC); Tricorp; Nuu-chah-nulth Economic Development Corporation (NEDC); First Nations Agricultural Lending Association (FNALA); and All Nations Trust Company (ANTCO).
In addition, the FCF program provides support community organizations North East Aboriginal Business Center in Fort St. John (NEABC); Kootenay Aboriginal Business Advocates Society in Cranbrook (KABAS); and the Prince George Aboriginal Business Development Centre in Prince George (PGABDC) to provide business support services. John is committed to supporting these ACCs and business services organizations and genuinely shares in the success of our Aboriginal entrepreneurs.
Just some highlights from quotes from people who have worked with John Harper either as members of the BC Native Economic Development Advisory Board; Transformative Change Accord or Business Advisory Agencies:
1. John is a champion for Aboriginal programming throughout the province. He displays a compassionate leadership style and has a kind spirit.
2. I have had the pleasure of working with John on a key file relating to the Transformative Change Accord: the First Nations Health Plan and Tripartite First Nations Health Plan.
Although these discussions were very difficult at times, John has always been willing to provide solid leadership while consistently demonstrating fairness in a manner to move the work ahead.
John has the gift of bringing a sense of calm and level headedness to difficult discussions. He is an excellent mediator, discussion leader, and representative for the provincial government.
3. Few things in government are certain. It is refreshing when you find someone as committed, focused and receptive to ideas as John is. Have worked with John as an FCF aftercare provider and as a board member on the advisory board and his integrity has always impressed me.
4. With a deft touch John brought an early sense of both order and common purpose to a disparate group of organizations. His considerable wisdom and unwavering commitment to Aboriginal people in BC continues to guide the deliberations of this committee.
John, thank you for working with us; believing in us and providing the support we require to do the best job possible in delivering these invaluable programs to our people and communities.
Thank you for working tirelessly to fulfill the goals of the NEDAB to promote Aboriginal business development and capacity development of Aboriginal people. You are a member of our family, welcome.
See the Gala Dinner video for John Harper.
See all of the videos from the Gala Dinner.
T. 604.261.9777 | Toll Free 866.882.6088 (in BC)
2012 Award Recipients Announcement
- Shelley Stewart
- Toolcomm Technology Inc.
- Braker Electric Ltd.
- Taba Enterprises Ltd.
- Duz Cho Logging Ltd.
- Coast Salish Development Corporation
- Chief Councillor Garry Reece
- 2012 Outstanding Business Achievers
- Bizzybody Events
- Jobkat Excavating
- Kisik Aerial Survey Inc.
- Spirit Works Limited
- E & K Construction
- Falcon Contracting Ltd.
- Kyahwood Forest Products
- Pentlatch Seafoods Ltd.
- Black Diamond Cygnus
- Canoe Creek Hydro Company Ltd.
Photos from the 2012 Gala Dinner
Videos from the 2012 Gala Dinner
BC Aboriginal Business Awards Information